HISTORY of WINDSOR LOCKS CT
Windsor Locks, CT, located on the Connecticut River was originally settled as part of Windsor in 1663, when it was known as Pine Meadow and Enfield Falls (for the rapids on its east side). Commercial development began after 1829 with the completion of the canal and locks, built to allow river traffic to bypass the rapids. The community, renamed Windsor Locks in 1833, was separately incorporated in 1854. Early industrial activity consisted primarily of sawmill and gristmill operations and the manufacture of paper, lathe chucks, and metallic threads.
The Windsor Locks real estate and economic base changed considerably during World War II with the construction of Bradley Field, a military air base that is now an international airport with a major air museum. Aircraft and aerospace industries are significant. The Connecticut Trolley Museum and the Old New Gate Prison and Copper Mine are nearby points of interest.